Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11

I know this day will be remembered like it was yesterday for the rest of my life. 

I was in high school Spanish class when the news was delivered. I remember the shock that my teacher was in and some people thought it was a bad joke. The reality of the situation didn't set in until the tv was turned on and we watched the towers fall. I remember seeing tears in my teacher's eyes and soon after my parents came to the school to pick my sisters and I up. Many other parents were doing the same. I remember the halls being packed with parents and students heading home for the day. No one knew if something else was coming. 

Today my thoughts are with everyone who lost someone on September 11th and everyone who has lost a loved one as a result since then. 
Today I also think of how fortunate I am and my family is to be safe, to be happy, to be able to walk outside and not fear for our lives. These things in our lives are generally taken for granted. I can drive to the store and buy food and take my children the doctor when they need medication. Not everyone lives this lifestyle. We need to sit back when we are sad and stressing over our lives and be thankful for the things we do have and the options that are available. We have access to health insurance and doctors. To the food we need to survive and clean drinking water. I can turn the air conditioning on when it's hot and the heat on when it is cold. We have money to spend at shopping malls on senseless things we think that we need. Could you imagine having none of this? Struggling to keep your children alive? Watching those around you dying? Sending your 10 year old child out with a gun to defend your family, home, supplies? 


I don't always agree with what our country is doing and I don't always understand why they do the things that they do. But I understand and appreciate the life I have been able to lead and choices I am able to make because of the country that I live in. The simple rights in life are what makes me proud to be an American and I want to say thank you to the men and women who have fought to preserve our way of life. All the men and women through history, not just the ones fighting and dying today. Thank You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment