Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade and Wonderful!

In the past 24 hours I have successfully made yogurt and peanut butter! I'm feeling pretty awesome about this I should tell you. So, I'm going to share the recipes. 

Yogurt 

1/2 gal milk (I used 2% I read you at least need 1% milk fat for it to work)
1 Tablespoon yogurt starter (Plain Yogurt with active cultures)
1/2 cup powdered milk (I read one recipe with and one without... I will try this without next time as I do not understand it's necessity)

Mix together milk and dry milk powder in large pan, bring to 180 degrees.
Cool to 110-115 degrees (there may be a film on the top, remove it).
NOTE: Make sure your milk is below 120 degrees before the next step because you could kill off the active cultures in the yogurt starter. You need them to make yogurt :)
Remove about 1/2 cup of warm milk mixture add starter yogurt to this. Mix well.
When combined add to pan. Mixing side to side and up and down.

Now your yogurt-to-be needs to incubate for 6-12 hours. I turned my oven on briefly while I was bringing the milk to 180 degrees. The goal is to keep your yogurt at 105 degrees for 6 + hours.

I placed a lid on my pan and wrapped it up in a large bath towel and placed it into the oven. ( Make sure your oven is not too hot for this if the live cultures become too hot they will die.) I also left the light on inside to ensure some kind of heat source. I was skeptical but this worked! (I did this over night I guess cultures do not like to be disturbed while at work!)
Drain off the whey(watery stuff - google other ways to use this). Package and store!

Homemade yogurt has a sweeter taste than store bought yogurt (which I sometimes find to be bitter and chalk-like). Also store bought yogurt is thicker because of the use of pectin. Without pectin homemade yogurt is not as thick so if you decide to try this, do not be alarmed, this is normal!!! 
IMAG2463.jpg

Now...


Peanut Butter!

12 oz roasted peanuts salted or unsalted ( I went with unsalted)
2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil- melted
Honey to taste - Optional

In food processor chop peanuts into a super minced consistency, keep going.
Add melted coconut oil, start with two tablespoons and add more if necessary.
When well mixed taste and decide on if you need/want to add honey.
I added about 3 tablespoons of honey.
    When taste and consistency to your liking is achieved, transfer your peanut butter into a glass jar.
Store in fridge for best "keeping" but mine is sitting on the counter waiting to see if it separates.
 

So there you have it another blog (with pictures this time!) and another way to smile at my amazing neurotic ways. ~ xox

No comments:

Post a Comment