Thursday, April 5, 2012

On a Mission - Survival is Crucial

I am fast realizing that this summer is going to be very difficult with my three children. I have a very strong feeling that they are going to drive me completely insane and you may find me running through town shouting random words and phrases that mean nothing at all to you, if you were to hear me doing this.

So, I am on a mission to find things for my kids to do to keep them from fighting with each other and from making me throw my marbles down the drain willingly.
If you are wondering, YES it is the first day of yet another holiday vacation that is creating this necessary mission. I can handle weekends. Saturdays are horrible but Sundays are a little more mellow plus I have my partner in crime by my side to blow whistles and make judgement calls with me. Kids are like wolves... they are more likely to attack one person than they are to attack two. But, an entire summer of children who are soooooo bored is not going to work for me.

I am picturing playdoh on the deck, sprinklers spraying in the yard, popsicle stained faces and swimsuits, and myself... flyswatter in hand chasing them through the house, all of us sopping wet, with one side of my face drastically sagging into my neck and the other side colliding with my forehead. Ok, maybe it won't be this bad.  hahaha but this is most definitely how I will feel if I don't have a plan.

I do intend to keep them busy, teaching them about gardening as we put the garden in, weed it, water it, and finally harvest it. I also have a "Summer Fun List" started but that's all family activities. I need some to-fill-the-days activities without hearing "I'm bored" or "there's nothing to do" or "MOM!".
I have even mentally organized a list of things I would like to do this summer. We will all be very busy but you know damn well we're not going to be busy enough to make three kids content.

Thanks to www.pinterest.com I already have a lot of ideas bookmarked. Now, to turn it into an organized list of things to do!

I also intend to teach my kids more about how it is OK not to have anything to do. In this fast paced world they for some reason seem to think they have to be doing something at all times (which is good if you are working, your boss is a Hitler wannabe and you would like to keep your job).
~I explained to them earlier "it is ok not to have anything to do. This does not mean that you come to me and ask me for something to eat or drink every 10 minutes. Stop and think about what you could be doing instead of fighting and being exceptionally needy(no I do NOT keep cookies up my butt!). You could read, draw, write, play together, or go outside. If you want to make crafts I can set you up with some to make.~

I don't know if I'll ever get through or if I'll make it.. but I'll be sure to blog again!

Happy Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment