Saturday, October 7, 2017

All Bark & No Spine

I thought dogs were supposed to be brave and protective.

I went outside to close up the chickens and I was using a headlamp, turns out the chickens have other plans and are sleeping outside tonight. I moved the little hens to the coop and let the boys stay out, they are too numerous and I figure if you've got all your rooster buddies by your side you're a stronger team against anything that might come at you.

So in order not to blind them with the super bright setting I had to cycle through all the options on the head lamp. The red one terrifies our 4 month old puppy, Banner. Well he saw it from about 100 ft away and sounded the alarm. He runs back to the porch and our 5 year old, Jarvis is at the end of the house ignoring me and barking.

This goes on for quite a while as I'm putting my bitty chicky girls into the coop. I assume maybe there is something out in the yard. He could have seen the neighbors cows and needs to just chill. I start making my way across the yard, and what does my big protector dog do?

He takes the fuck off as fast as he can and leaves me and the puppy to fend for ourselves.

I can only assume at this point he just figured I was dead and he was on his own.

I cautiously walked around the back of the house because you just never know if your neutered dog is going to grow a pair and accidentally maul and kill you in your own yard.
There he was, at the back door, waiting for someone to notice him and let him back into the house.

I assume he'd have curled up on the couch and pretended nothing happened at all if I never returned.

Friends, do not rely on an animal for protection or reassurance, it would be heavily misplaced. The more ferocious the dog looks, the more of a wimp he is likely to be.

I honestly think that the puppy has a better handle on himself after witnessing what happened.
What did he do?
Well, he stood his ground on the front porch, tall and brave but cautious. And when I walked toward the house he came off the porch to investigate. Only when I said "Banner its mommy" did he wag his tail and trot up to me.

Maybe this one will be better at protecting, he'd better not look to his older brother for guidance because he's all bark and no spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment