Thursday, October 5, 2017

8 Things I Realized After Moving Away From Town

We moved twice in 2016. It was exhausting. While this post is from the first move. It all still holds true. Except our next move was even more fantastic. 

We recently moved from a town where we could see over two dozen houses from the back deck alone, to the country where I can count our neighbors on one hand. I forgot what it was like living in the country after spending over a decade living in various towns.

8 Things I realized after moving out of town and into the country. 

1. When it is dark, it is seriously dark. You can actually see the stars in the country. That’s something that just stopped me in my tracks. You don’t know what you’re missing until you have it back sometimes. You just forget.

2. It’s 11pm and you want to let the dogs out before bed… and it isn’t until you open the door and they’re meandering about in the dark that you stop to realize, raccoons, opossums, skunks, oh my! Anything could be out there waiting in the dark to scare the living shit out of your city slicker dogs who’s only threat has ever been stray cats, bunnies, and loud birds.


3. There are so many different types of birds and they are so numerous you suddenly understand bird watching. Because that’s what you are now, a bird watcher, you’re staring out the window at birds and you don’t have the slightest idea what most of them are.

4. You take shopping very seriously. Forgetting something means driving a lot further to get that which was forgotten. When you leave the house you do as much as you can do while you’re in town because driving back and forth eats up time and gas and you just want to hang out in your new country home.

5. Suddenly you want farm animals. How hard could it be to keep chickens!? Let’s do this!
OMG, I want a baby goat too. I wonder if I could start raising rabbits…

6. The days seem slower for a little while until you get comfortable. Then they certainly feel longer. Maybe that’s the same thing? I don’t think the long day feeling will subside. I certainly hope that it doesn’t. The long days inspire ideas.

7. You realize you’re back where you belong. All those dreams and ambitions you’ve had align perfectly with your new home and this country life.

8. You know you’ll never live in town again.
P.S. – ALL THE GORGEOUS PICTURES!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment