Sunday, October 6, 2019

Giving Up Homesteading

 EDIT

Things are changing.

We are downsizing our little farm to only include birds. I gave some of my hens to my grandpa, his are older and have stopped laying. We processed the rabbits.

Despite having a buck in with our goats for months, neither is pregnant and I’m just discouraged and selling them back to the woman we bought them from. I don’t anticipate that I’ll have the time or desire for milking anyways.

Our pigs are scheduled to be butchered early November. I don’t have any desire to raise pigs again. It hasn’t been bad, but it is a lot of work.

I have loved these animals but I feel like life is taking me in a different direction.

I do intend to support local farms when we buy meat in the future. They have my utmost respect and admiration.

Keeping animals is expensive. Especially if you don’t have the land and equipment to grow any of their food.

I’ve been shifting my focus onto our house. We painted the kitchen, dining, entry and living room. Put down new flooring throughout. Next we will be building a custom pantry and then buying new living room furniture and a dining set. There are also many smaller projects and things we want to update. Like wooden blinds. Painting an old desk to better match the look that we’re working towards. Once the pantry is finished I’ll be reorganizing the kitchen we need to decide if we want to wall mount a tv above the fireplace in the living room or if we want to put it onto a different wall on a tv stand. Which means we need to decide before we buy the furniture.

I need to start studying medicinal herbs again and hope to get back to that now that the seasons are changing.

We haven’t told many people about our plans to give up the little farm dream but those who know are supportive and understanding. I appreciate that so much.

Life is always changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment